Sunday, April 12, 2009

Who is the Lily of the Valleys?

I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys. - Song of Solomon 2:1.

Who is the Lily of the Valleys?
This is a wonderful flower, but this flower is also known as Our Lady%26#039;s tears since, according to Christian legend, the tears Mary shed at the cross turned to Lilies of the Valley. According to another legend, Lilies of the Valley also sprang from the blood of St. George during his battle with the dragon. Other names include May Lily, May Bells, Lily Constancy, Ladder-to-Heaven, Male Lily and Muguet.





Traditionally, Lily of the Valley is sold in the streets of France on May 1. Lily of the Valley became the national flower of Finland in 1982. The Norwegian municipality Lunner has a Lily of the Valley in its coat-of-arms. It is the official flower of Alpha Delta Phi fraternity, Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, Kappa Sigma fraternity, Delta Omicron fraternity, Alpha Epsilon Phi sorority, and Alpha Phi sorority.





The name %26quot;Lily of the Valley%26quot; is also used in some English translations of the Bible in Song of Songs 2:1, although whether the Hebrew word %26quot;shoshana%26quot; (usually denoting a rose) originally used there refers to this species or not is uncertain. The meaning of this flower is %26quot;You will find Happiness.%26quot; This is the Song od Songs 2:1 :1 I am a rose of Sharon, A lily of the valleys.


2:2 As a lily among thorns, So is my love among the daughters.


2:3 As the apple-tree among the trees of the forest, So is my beloved among the sons. I sat down under his shadow with great delight, And his fruit was sweet to my taste.


2:4 He brought me to the banqueting-house, And his banner over me was love.


2:5 Stregthen+ me with raisins, refresh me with apples; For I am sick from love.


2:6 His left hand [is] under my head, And his right hand embraces me.


2:7 I adjure you+, O daughters of Jerusalem, By the roes, or by the hinds of the field, That you+ do not stir up, nor awake [my] love, Until he pleases.


2:8 The voice of my beloved! Look, he comes, Leaping on the mountains, Skipping on the hills.


2:9 My beloved is like a roe or a young hart: Look, he stands behind our wall; He looks in at the windows; He glances through the lattice.


2:10 My beloved spoke, and said to me, Rise up, my love, my beautiful one, and come away.


2:11 For, look, the winter is past; The rain is over and gone;


2:12 The flowers appear on the earth; The time of the singing [of birds] has come, And the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land;


2:13 The fig-tree ripens her green figs, And the vines are in blossom; They give forth their fragrance. Arise, my love, my beautiful one, and come away.


2:14 O my dove, in the clefts of the rock, In the covert of the steep place, Let me see your countenance, Let me hear your voice; For sweet is your voice, and your countenance is comely.


2:15 Take for us the foxes, the little foxes, That spoil the vineyards; For our vineyards are in blossom.


2:16 My beloved is mine, and I am his: He shepherds [his flock] among the lilies.


2:17 Until the day is cool, and the shadows flee away, Turn, my beloved, and be like a roe or a young hart On the mountains of Bether. You can also listen to it http://read.updated.org/bible/So/2/1?ope...



computer

No comments:

Post a Comment